In a sketch that is in a SolidWorks part file, a sketch entity (lines and circles are the most common ones) with a centerline linetype are always considered construction geometry. … Construction geometry is used only to assist in creating the sketch entities and geometry that are ultimately incorporated into the part.
What is a construction line?
Construction lines (also known as xlines) are temporary linework entities that can be used as references when creating and positioning other objects or linework. … Construction lines are either circles or straight lines that extend to infinity in both directions.
Where are construction lines in Solidworks?
Select the sketch entities that you want to convert and use one of the following methods:
- Click Construction Geometry on the Sketch toolbar.
- Click Tools > Sketch Tools > Construction Geometry.
- Select the For construction check box in the PropertyManager.
How do you make a construction line in Solidworks?
In the PropertyManager, you can convert solid line segments to construction lines by selecting For Construction in the PropertyManager. To add centerlines in a rectangle, select Add construction lines and select either From Corners or From Midpoints in the PropertyManager.
What type of line is only used for construction in Solidworks?
Construction geometry uses the same line style as centerlines. Any sketch entity can be specified for construction. Points and centerlines are always construction entities. The SOLIDWORKS software also has Reference Geometry (planes, axes, and so on) as a basis for creating features outside of sketches.
What is the point of construction lines?
The purpose of construction lines is to give you an outline of what you are about to draw. Object lines are used for outlining the shape and giving it its main features.
How do you use construction lines?
To Work With Construction Lines
- Click Home tab Draw panel Construction Line. Find.
- Specify a point to define the root of the construction line.
- Specify a second point through which the construction line should pass.
- Continue to specify construction lines as needed. …
- Press Enter to end the command.
How do I convert lines in Solidworks?
To convert an entity:
- In an open sketch, click a model edge, loop, face, curve, external sketch contour, set of edges, or set of curves. You can also click an entity after clicking the Convert Entities. …
- Click Convert Entities. …
- In the PropertyManager, click Select chain to convert all contiguous sketch entities. …
- Click .
Right-click the drawing view and select Properties. Select the Show Hidden Edges tab. Select a feature or component from either the drawing view or the FeatureManager design tree to add it to the list of items to be shown with hidden lines. Click Apply to see the effect of your selection.
What are object lines?
A visible line, or object line is a thick continuous line, used to outline the visible edges or contours of an object.
How do I draw a line in SOLIDWORKS drawing?
To sketch a line:
- Click Line. …
- In the Insert Line PropertyManager under Orientation, select one of the following: …
- Under Options, select: …
- Under Parameters, you can do the following, based on the Orientation: …
- Click in the graphics area and sketch the line. …
- Complete the line in one of the following ways:
What is a centerline in SOLIDWORKS?
Centerlines are annotations that mark circle centers and describe the geometry size on drawings. You can insert centerlines into drawing views automatically or manually. The SOLIDWORKS software avoids duplicate centerlines. If you dimension to a centerline, the extension lines are shortened automatically.
How do you hide construction geometry in Solidworks?
To hide all construction geometry, use the “Shift” and “P” keys simultaneously. Construction geometry in this case is defined as sketches, curves, mates, and mate connectors.
What is geometrical construction?
Definition of geometrical construction
: construction employing only straightedge and compasses or effected by drawing only straight lines and circles —opposed to mechanical construction.
What type of line is C?
B type – Continuous THIN. C type – Continuous THIN Freehand. D type – Continuous THIN Zig-Zag.