In SketchUp, you can import and export STL files, which are used in 3D printing. As explained in 3D Printing a Model, for a SketchUp model to become a successful 3D printout, the model needs to meet certain criteria, such as having a base and a volume and being a solid.
How do I create a STL file in SketchUp?
Exporting from Sketchup to STL:
- Window > Extension Warehouse. Click on the “extension warehouse” button in the top menu bar. …
- Search STL. Once the extension warehouse window opens you can search for the plugin. …
- Select Sketchup STL. …
- Install. …
- File > Export STL. …
What programs produce STL files?
7 of the best free STL file editors
- MeshLab. MeshLab is a very complete free and open source program to edit your STL files. …
- SketchUp. SketchUp, which used to be called Google SketchUp, is a 3D modeling software that now belongs to the architectural company Trimble Buildings. …
- SculptGL. SculptGL is a free 3D sculpting tool.
Can SketchUp edit STL?
If you’re trying to work with STL files within SketchUp, you’ll find it challenging because all of the faces are subdivided and there are a ton of extra edges throughout. … If you open it in SketchUp, you’ll probably notice a lot of problems with the STL file that make it really difficult to edit.
Can SketchUp be used for 3D printing?
SketchUp can be very useful to introduce people to 3D printing because anyone can 3D model and print an object with the first use. We’ve designed a very simple object here, but in the making of it we’ve covered all the basic aspects of how this software works.
How do I export a 3D model in SketchUp?
Export a 3DS file
- Select File > Export > 3D Model. …
- Navigate to the location where you want to save your file.
- From the Export Type drop-down list, select 3DS File (*. …
- (Optional) By default, the 3DS file has the same name as your SketchUp model. …
- Click the Options button.
How do I open a STL file in SketchUp?
Importing an STL file into SketchUp
Select File > Import. In the Import dialog box that opens, navigate to the STL file that you want to import and select it. (Optional) Select STereoLithography Files (. stl) from the file type drop-down list and then click the Options button.
How do I make STL files for 3D printing?
Once you have optimized your part using the above steps, it is ready to export as an STL file.
- Download the 3D Print Exporter Plugin from ZBrush.
- Select the ZPlugin menu.
- Click 3D Print Exporter.
- Define and scale your dimensions.
- Select STL > STL Export.
How do I export from Sketchup to Cura?
To export the model as something that Cura can read you need to go file-> export->3d models… It is possible in Sketchup to download extensions using the extension warehouse that will allow you to export to a more standard format but for our purposes it is unnecessary.
What 3D file formats can Sketchup import?
Import a file from another program into SketchUp.
Using SketchUp Data with Other Modeling Programs or Tools.
|File Type||Image files|
|File Extension(s)||.jpg , .png , .tif , .bmp , .psd , .tga , .epx , .pdf , .eps|
|SketchUp Pro and Shop Only?||Some file types are PRO and SHOP only|
|Learn More Here||Importing and Exporting Image Files|
How do I export from Sketchup for free?
Click Export and your OBJ file is saved in the location you selected.
- Select File > Export > 3D Model. …
- Navigate to the location where you want to save your OBJ file.
- In the Format drop-down list, select OBJ File (*. …
- (Optional) Rename your file in the Save As text box.
- (Optional) Click the Options button.
What’s the difference between SketchUp and SketchUp Pro?
The difference between SketchUp and SketchUp Pro is that their versions. SketchUp is the basic version, and SketchUp Pro is the professional version. SketchUp does not support the CAD function, while SketchUp Pro supports the CAD functions. SketchUp does not have fancy tools, and the SketchUp Pro has many fancy tools.
Why did Google sell SketchUp?
But it just didn’t fit with the direction Google is heading in. … So rather than sink it in the deadpool, Google sold it to someone that can actually put it to use — Trimble, a mapping, surveying, and navigation equipment company. Analysts speculated that Google paid $45 million for SketchUp in 2006.